Alleged Financial Malpractices: ICPC Raids El-Rufai’s Residence

Admin II
2 Min Read

Operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) on Thursday, February 19, 2026, conducted a search at the Abuja residence of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in connection with an ongoing investigation into alleged financial irregularities.

This was contained in a statement by Muyiwa Adekeye, the media adviser to El-Rufai, who stated that the operation took place in Abuja earlier in the day.

This was as one of El-Rufai’s legal counsels, Ubong Akpan, strongly criticised the action, describing it as unlawful and a breach of due process and fundamental human rights.

Akpan said that the search was carried out without proper legal authorization, stressing that his client would explore all legal options to challenge what he described as “an abuse of power”.

However, sources close to the ICPC said that the operation is linked to alleged financial misconduct during El-Rufai’s eight-year tenure as governor of Kaduna State.

El-Rufai, who had spent two nights in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) before he was released on administrative bail, was immediately arrested by operatives of the ICPC over allegations of financial malpractices during his tenure as governor of Kaduna State.

The ICPC is yet to issue a statement detailing the outcome of the search of El-Rufai’s house and or the next steps being taken in the probe.

This is as political observers and other stakeholders are of the view that the latest development has intensified public interest in the selective investigation of former public officers even as the anti-corruption agencies continue their efforts to address allegations of financial impropriety against high profile members of the public.

- Advertisement -
Share This Article
Leave a comment