BY SEGUN ADEBAYO – Determined to curb the rising incidents of rape within its domain, the Kaduna State government has approved castration and death penalty as additional punishments for convicted rapists in the State .
The legal instrument backing this tough stance is the amended Penal Code 2020 signed into law by Governor Nasir el-Rufa’i on Wednesday, September 16, 2020
In the amended bill passed into law by the Kaduna State House of Assembly on Thursday, September 10, 2020, henceforth, rape offenders will suffer surgical castration or the capital punishment upon conviction.
Similarly, the convicts’ names and particulars will be listed on the Sex Offenders Register to be published by the State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice.
Governor el-Rufai, who announced the development as part of his administration’s efforts to rid the state of rising cases of sexual and other related crimes
The development was disclosed on El-Rufai’s official Twitter handle @GovKaduna Wednesday night.
The post said, “Malam Nasir @elrufai has signed the Kaduna State Penal Code (Amendment) Law 2020 which provides stiff penalties upon conviction for the rape of a child, including surgical castration for male convicts and bilateral salpingectomy for female convicts”
Also, a statement posted on his Facebook wall in confirmation of the new penalty regime government said punishments for the offence of raping a child include death sentence as well as surgical castration and bilateral salpingectomy for male and female convicts of child rape.
The statement signed by the Governor’s Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Muyiwa Adekeye, said in addition, the convicts will be listed in the Sex Offenders Register to be published by the Attorney-General of the state.
According to the statement; “Following Malam El-Rufai’s assent to the amended law on 11th September 2020, the new law has come into effect in Kaduna State.
“It introduces stricter punishments than the previous law which carried a maximum penalty of 21 years imprisonment for the rape of an adult and life imprisonment for the rape of a child.”
Offering further explanations on the new legislation, the statement said; “Under the amended law, the punishment for the rape of a person older than 14 years will include surgical castration or removal of fallopian tubes, but the death penalty shall not apply.
“In cases where the rape convict is also a child, the court shall order an appropriate punishment under the Children and Young Persons Law Cap 26, Laws of Kaduna State 1991.
“While commending the members of the Kaduna State House of Assembly for passing the amendments, the Governor stated that these drastic penalties are required to help further protect children from a serious crime.”
Adekeye’s statement gave detailed breakdown of “The Kaduna State Penal Code (Amendment) Law 2020 amends the Penal Code Law (No.5) of Kaduna State, 2017 by substituting section 258 as follows:
- “Whoever commits rape of a child below the age of fourteen (14) years shall on conviction, be punished with Surgical Castration and death;
- Whoever has sexual intercourse with a male child below the age of fourteen years shall be punished with surgical castration and death;
- Where a female adult is convicted for the offence of rape of a child, the Court shall punish the accused with Bilateral Salpingectomy and death;
- Where the victim is above fourteen years, the Court shall on conviction sentence the accused with a punishment of surgical castration and life imprisonment;
- Where the convict is a child, the Court shall order as appropriate under the Children and Young Person Law Cap 26 Laws of Kaduna State 1991;
- Where the victim is a child, the Court shall in addition to the conviction, order that the convict be listed in the Sex Offenders Register to be published by the Attorney General; and
- Where the Court is trying the offence of rape involving a child below the age of fourteen years, corroboration of a medical report shall be necessary.”