Zelenskiy Sacks Defence Minister, Lines Up Replacement

Admin III
6 Min Read

Hinting at the urgent need for rejigging the Armed Forces and a adopting new approach to prosecuting the war against Russia, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has announced his intention to replace the country’s defence minister,

Clearly setting the stage for the biggest shake-up of Ukraine’s defence establishment since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, the Ukrainian President said Oleksii Reznikov was being relieved of his duties at the Defence Ministry.

In his nightly video address to the nation on Sunday, Zelenskiy said he would ask parliament this week to replace him with Rustem Umerov, head of the country’s main privatisation fund.

“I’ve decided to replace the minister of defence of Ukraine. Oleksii Reznikov has been through more than 550 days of full-scale war,” Zelenskiy said. “I believe the ministry needs new approaches and other formats of interaction with both the military and society as a whole.“

Zelenskiy said he expected parliament to approve Umerov’s appointment, adding that Umerov “does not need any additional introduction”. Zelenskiy has to submit Umerov’s candidacy to parliament for review.

A 41-year-old ex-lawmaker and Crimean Tatar, Umerov has headed Ukraine’s state property fund since September 2022 and played a role in sensitive wartime negotiations on, for instance, the Black Sea grain deal.

He has been praised in Ukraine for his record at the property fund, which oversees the privatisation of state assets and had been embroiled in corruption scandals before he took charge.

Reznikov, Defence Minister since November 2021, has helped secure billions of dollars of Western military aid to help the war effort but has been dogged by graft allegations surrounding his ministry that he has described as smears.

The decision comes amid a crackdown on corruption in Ukraine that Zelenskiy has been keen to emphasise. Kyiv has applied to join the EU and the public has become highly sensitive to corruption as the war rages with no end in sight.

During the war, Reznikov’s defence ministry lobbied the West to overcome various taboos on supplying powerful military kits to Ukraine, including everything from German-made main battle tanks to Himars multiple-launch rockets. Kyiv now looks poised to receive US-made F-16 fighter jets soon.

Western military aid has played a crucial role in the war, as Ukraine first forced back Russian troops around the capital Kyiv before launching counteroffensives in the north-east and south.

Similarly, its troops are now fighting through heavily mined areas and Russian defensive lines to try to recapture territory in the South-east and east with Reznikov seen as having built up a strong rapport with allied defence ministers and military officials.

One member of parliament has tipped him as Ukraine’s possible new ambassador to London and his apparent exit appears to bring an end to months of domestic media pressure that began in January when Reznikov’s ministry was accused of buying food at inflated prices.

Though he was not personally involved in the food contract, some Ukrainian commentators said he should take political responsibility for what happened.

Last month, a Ukrainian media outlet accused his Ministry of corruption during the procurement of winter coats for the army with Reznikov denying any wrongdoing and repeatedly said he was being targeted by a smear campaign.

Aside from the announcement on dropping the Defence Minister, President Zelenskiy also said on Sunday night that Ukraine had struck a “very important agreement on training our pilots in France” in a conversation with the French president, Emmanuel Macron.

“Our coalition of modern fighters is becoming stronger,” he said, adding that Macron had also discussed what France could do to help protect the Ukrainian city of Odesa and the region.

Meanwhile, Reznikov officially submitted his resignation letter after Volodymyr Zelenskiy removed him from his post on Sunday night, in the biggest reshuffle by the president of his government team since Vladimir Putin’s full-scale invasion.

Under his watch, the Defence Ministry has been hit by corruption scandals, and Reznikov stated that he had written to the Chair of Ukraine’s parliament, Ruslan Stefanchuk, confirming he was stepping down.

“It was an honour to serve the Ukrainian people and work for the #UAarmy for the last 22 months, the toughest period of Ukraine’s modern history,” Reznikov posted on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Reznikov noted that Ukraine had liberated “over 50%” of its territory temporarily occupied by Russia, and added: “Every day our defenders are moving forward.” – With agency reports

- Advertisement -
Share This Article
Leave a comment