The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) on Monday denied media reports alleging that it issued a security red alert to security agencies over a purported terrorists’ attack in Abuja, and neighbouring states.
An alleged internal memo of the Service, which was released late last week, indicated that the terrorists were regrouping around Abuja, Kogi and Nasarawa States, all in North-central Nigeria.
The controversial memo, purportedly signed by the Comptroller, Enforcement of NCS headquarters, H.A Sabo, said that the terrorists group had camped in five prominent locations in Abuja, with plans to unleash terror on residents of the city.
But in a telephone chat with PRNigeria, Spokesman of the NCS, Mr. Joseph Atta, denied that the Service issued any statement on the alleged terrorists’ onslaught.
In the words of Atta; “I don’t even know anything about it. The Nigerian Customs Service also knows nothing about the letter”.
“It is not the first-time messages or statements about ‘phantom’ recruitment exercises and goods’ auctioning are issued bearing fake letterheads of NCS,” he said.