BY AMOS DUNIA, ABUJA – Following what analysts described as possible fallouts from statements credited to Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II; Governor Umar Ganduje of Kano State on Monday queried the royal father over what the state government said were infractions detected in the Kano Emirate.
Issues covered by the query are classified under three headings bordering on alleged massive depletion of funds belonging to the emirate; and appointment of Chiefs into emirate clans without consultation with the state government, specifically the governor.
It was gathered that Governor Ganduje expressed dismay over the appointment of the chiefs’ clan which he believes are political in nature, thus the emir has to clarify the powers vested on him to unilaterally embark on such appointments.
Last week, Governor Ganduje directed the Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission to carry out investigations into the accounts of the Kano Emirate Council over allegations of ‘debatable expenditures’ running into billions of naira with a period of about three years.
Emir Sanusi II, is accused of squandering about N4.6 billion allegedly left in the emirate coffers by the former Emir, Late Alhaji Ado Bayero.
But in his reaction, Emir Sanusi II, who spoke through a senior official in the Kano Emirate, debunked the allegations of unnecessary expenditure amounting to N6 billion.
The senior council official in charge of finance, who is also the Walin Kano, Alhaji Bashir Wali, said at a press conference that the Emirate has only spent N4.314billion since Emir Sanusi II, took over as emir of Kano in June 2014.
Wali further said that Emir Sanusi II, inherited N1.9 billion (exactly N1.893,378.927.38) and not N4 billion as alleged in some quarters.
He further said; “Contrary to the allegation, Emir Sanusi II, never inherited such amount from Late Emir, Ado Bayero. The late Ado Bayero left behind only N2.9bn.